Friday, July 6, 2012

A difficult subject

Last month, I was attacked by a dog.

I recently started working for a friend of mine who owns a butterfly business.(Caterpillar kits, releases, etc.) and one Friday morning, I was at her house, loading the truck, and getting ready to drive to a farmers market, hoping to sell some plants and help kids feed butterflies. I walked back in the house to get the last of the boxes, when my friend's German Shepherd rounded the corner and leaped on me. No warning. no bark, no nothing. He just attacked. It was the worst moment of my whole life. I thought I was going to die. I tried to fight him off, but all I could do was scream and hope someone heard me. Finally, after what seemed like hours, my friend came and pulled him off me, but in the frenzy, he bit her leg too.

Apparently, my friend didn't know I was coming back in the house and let the dog out of his cage to roam the house while we were gone. I have known this family for many years, yet had never met the dog, which, I think, tells you something about the dog. It wasn't that I didn't want to, the FAMILY didn't want me getting anywhere near that dog. And now I know why.

Ten minutes later  I was in my mom's car being taken to the hospital. I was sobbing. And bleeding from everywhere. Thankfully, there was no one in the waiting room, and I was admitted tht moment I got there.

I needed almost 20 stitches in my left hand, right elbow, forehead and behind my left ear. I haven't been in a hospital since I was born, practically. I hate hospitals. They freak me out, and they're full of sick people, so you can imagine what freaking out was going on in my head. Thankfully, my doctor was wonderful. So soft-spoken, he almost put me to sleep. He took his time with my stitches, and they were perfect, and there was no pain.

*If you're grossed out by blood, you may want to scroll fast.

I spent an entire week in that chair, hardly able to move for pain, and pretty much doped up on medication. This coming from the girl who won't even take cold medicine when she's sick. I was in much pain. Now for the kicker. this all happened a week before my senior prom. I was absolutely miserable.

After ten days I went back to the hospital to get my stitches out. Even then, I only had to wait, like, 15 minutes. Got was totally in this whole situation. When the nurse told me they didn't use pain killers when taking the stitches OUT, I nearly had heart failure. I'm not even kidding. I was like, "Woman, you think you can pull string out of me and not dope me?! I don't freakin' THINK SO!" But, as it turns out, it didn't hurt at all. But I still did some MAJOR praying that morning.

Now, I'm healing up well, and may not even have too much scarring. It's taken this entire month to get any movement back in my left hand, though. I still can't straighten my index finger completely.

I've done a lot of crying and praying over this past month. You know, you hear so many stories of how people lose their faith when something terrible happens to them, but I've found a greater appreciation for God. Every time I relive those moments in my head, I pray that God will take them away, and he does, and I'm left calm. It's been a really rough month for me, but I know God has been watching over me, and will continue to do so. Praise Him!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Erin. I'm so sorry that happened to you. That must have be so so scary. That's one of my worst fears. I hope the pain goes down, I'll be praying for you, and praise God that you are healing!