Thursday, July 22, 2010

A delicate process...

Well, this is it. The big one. The one we've all be waiting for!!!

Anywho, yesterday my mom and I transfered the last of my chrysalisss(Chrysali?) Caterpillars becoming butterflies. From the mock-cages to the clothes hamper, and now they are ready to emerge!! But, believe you me, that was no easy feat! When the caterpillars are getting ready to make their chrysalis, they....eject....a substance not dissimilar to a spider's web, from their posterier, and then hang from it when they are in their J, and when in their chrysalis. Unfortunately, This stuff spreads, and sometimes connects to the web of another caterpillar, and this stuff is so strong, that when it DOES intertwine, it has to be cut with scissors, instead of just pulled apart. And, what's more, roughly 8 caterpillars had to be transfered, and they all decided to attach themselves in a very neighborly like fashion.

But, enough chit-chat. It's picture time!!!

Here you can see the web-like substance

These three were attached together by their "webs"


Here are all my children waiting to get hung, if you will.


Here is all of them!!! I have myself a little nursery of up-and-coming butterflies!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, your children are just so cute in their "chrysali". Can't wait to see them all grown up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee hee! I love caterpillars and butterflies!

    ReplyDelete